A Fall Weekend with Friends on the Ocean…add fiber, color, food, gardens & beaches…What’s not to love?
What’s different about Fiber College? At most events you pay for a class and you get a class. No surprises. At Fiber College you pay for a class and you get an event.
- First, there are the people. Not only is Fiber College the largest Fiber Event on the East Coast dedicated to education…but you won’t find a friendlier, more accommodating group of artists anywhere in the country. Entirely volunteer driven, the College is about you, for you and in many aspects, planned by people like you who have participated in the past and now bring their own special talents to the week.
- Second, we’re hosted by Searsport Shores Ocean Campground…that provides us with 40 acres of ocean frontage on Penobscot Bay, right in the center of the Maine coast. The campground is filled with organic gardens, beaches, woodland trails … and all handicapped accessible. Camp on the grounds with your tent or RV so that you don’t miss a minute of action. Don’t camp? Stay in one of the many B&B’s and hotels/motels within 10 minutes of the College Entrance. When you come to the College we want you to linger, relax, play and enjoy a break from your every day world.
- Third, we’ve carefully selected the vendors who populate the Shopper’s Boulevard. When you shop here, you’re immersed in small farms, talented shepherds/artists and fiber/fabric shops who carry one-of-a-kind treasures you won’t find at the mall. More than that, because Fiber College is intimate, when you’re ready to shop you won’t be fighting your way into a booth or pushed to leave before you’re ready. On this Boulevard you’re supposed to daydream, talk with the vendors, ask questions and request a demonstration when something catches your eye.
- Fourth, there’s the Scheduled Demonstrations. From Friday through Sunday, every hour will feature a different fiber related topic. Published ahead of time, you can schedule yourself the opportunity to sit down and learn a bit about furniture upholstery, seat weaving, knitting with wire, wood turning and linen knots (to name just a few).
- Finally, We want you to be part of our community; of our fun…so FREE with your class registration, we’ve scheduled events each evening when classes are finished:
Thursday, you’re invited to a Wear Your Art cocktail party + music to celebrate the opening of the instructors art exhibit
Friday, you’re invited to the Potluck Supper in the Rec Hall (We’ll roast the turkeys and provide the place settings), followed by a Fiber Swap (do you remember the Bridal sale at Filene’s Basement?). Then sit by the fire and knit, spin, quilt or weave with others who simply want to enjoy an talking about patterns, colors techniques and life.
Saturday night we’ll host a show and tell and hot seafood chowder meal at the beach…with a bonfire and s’mores of course!
On Sunday we always hate to say goodbye…so we’ll linger in the afternoon with a fresh, homemade dessert and coffee. We hope that you’ll sit down and exchange contact information…this is the final gathering of instructors, students, vendors and volunteers…usually we spend our time planning for next year…
Fiber College will be held September 6-10, 2017
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org